Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Week 9: Northern Michigan University


The week of the NACUFS Picnic was immensely busy, and I spent most of my time in the kitchens doing prep work. I had decided that I wanted to work with Kathy, a chef, to cook most of the food ourselves. So, we started on Tuesday by pulling the frozen chicken, salmon, and laying out the tofu to drain. I also made a TON of cheesecakes from scratch! Some of them were a little more pretty than others, but they all turned out to be delicious.






On Wednesday, I really got to cooking, and I started making the dips. There was tzatziki, edamame hummus, and garlic hummus that I was planning on making from scratch. I was a little pressed for time, as Kathy had the day off, so Robin and Billy luckily volunteered to help me out. I also made my gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from scratch, and let some of the chefs sample!

Thursday, the BIG DAY! I couldn’t believe it was finally here! I probably looked crazy, as I was running around all day preparing food, packing decorations, gathering dishes, and just plain freaking out as the deadline approached. I had so much help from the chefs though, and mostly everything went smoothly. There was a small slip-up, as one of the chefs spilled all of the freshly made raspberry coulis for the cheesecakes. It was sad to see such delicious toppings all over the floor, but luckily we found a great substitute in storage.

Coconut Rice Pudding
The main table set-up
The picnic itself was awesome. The food was delicious, and one of the many people I’ve met throughout the summer, Steve, even brought games for everyone! I could not have asked for a better day weather-wise, and people seemed to enjoy the fact that the entire menu was gluten-free when I announced it. I was exhausted by the end of the night, and took Friday off from work. 

Blueberry Mint Lemonade and Cucumber Water--very refreshing!

One of the Beautiful roses we had at the picnic!


No comments:

Post a Comment