Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Disney comes to Cal Dining

Hey there! It's been a while, I have been very busy. Last week I got started on my biggest project: "Be Our Guest: Dining with Disney." At the end of the month I am coordinating a day of meals at one of our dining locations central to the theme of Disney. All of the meals and decorations reflect characters and popular scenes in their various films! Including Lady and the Tramp, Ratatouille, Up, and many others!

For breakfast we are serving Mickey Mouse-shaped pancakes and french toast with various toppings and sides

For lunch we are serving an African-rubbed pork chop at the Lion King Grill, Peanut butter and banana Peter Pan Panini's, Lady and the Tramp spaghetti with meatballs, Mulan egg rolls and orange chicken to name a few off the top of my head

For Dinner, we have a wing bar at the Lion King Grill, Ratatouille and French cuisine, to name a few more!

Other areas include Pizza Planet Pizza, Jungle Book Tropical fruit salad (The "Bear" Necessities), a Mad Hatter Tea Party showcasing our desserts reflecting the disney princesses: snow white candy apples, Princess Tiana beignets, Sleeping Beauty chocolate blackout cake, Jasmine Baklava. The Soups de jour are Belle's French Onion Soup, and Ariel's Lobster Bisque! An Up Sundae station will also be present, complete with banana split toppings, and we also plan to have a cotton candy machine and popcorn machine located within the hall. Not to mention, one of the managers has volunteered to dress up as Mickey Mouse and walk throughout the hall for the day :) Pretty cool stuff.

A lot of my time has been spent on this project, and it has been a lot of fun. The decorator and myself have come up with a lot of great ideas, and now it's just about starting and finishing! Some of our ideas include a replica house from Up, a red rocket vending machine like in Toy Story's Pizza Planet, stained glass Beauty and the Beast windows, and a Mad Hatter Tea Party setting.

I have just a few more weeks here with Cal Dining, and it is sad to see it coming to an end. Some upcoming things to look forward to are working in the Honeybear bakery, an outing to Fenton's for an ice cream sundae with my fellow coworkers and managers, and a final presentation summarizing my summer experiences. While building and designing items for the Disney day :)

Outside of work, I have met an amazing group of friends who I spent 4th of July with! I got to bake a cake: vanilla with lemon frosting topped with patriotic raspberries and blueberries which I brought to the barbeque! And we went to the Berkeley marina to watch fireworks, we could see the fireworks from every part of the bay, San Francisco's, Oakland's...it was way cool! Also...it was the coldest 4th of July I'd ever experienced! Oh Berkeley...Also this past weekend, we celebrated a friend's birthday with delicious Thai food and then concluded the night with a game of telepictionary...THE COOLEST GAME EVER. We laughed the entire time. And next week we are going camping on the bay! I'm so very excited, I get to help plan the meals we prepare too :)....lots of food experiences all-around.

Well that's all for now! I hope everyone is having an excellent internship. Thanks for reading! Pics as usual:












No comments:

Post a Comment