Saturday, July 14, 2012

Week 6: University of Northern Iowa (UNI)

DAY 22: TOUR PREXY’S, AVANTI, AND ESSENTIALS
Monday, July 09, 2012
University of Northern Iowa
            Today, I worked at the Maucker Union.  The Maucker Union is different from Rialto and Piazza, because it is based on retail, not all you can eat style.  I toured Prexy’s, the retail dining.  They had a pizza place, Avanti, a sandwich/wrap place, Café Fresco, a coffee place, Chats, a burger place, Flare’s, international cuisine, Wasabi already packaged items, Grab & Go, and lastly, the c-store, Essentials. 
            I worked with a supervisor at Avanti.  First, I assisted him with the preparation of pizzas.  We made four meat and garden vegetable pizzas.  The difference between here and Formaggio was they sell individual slices, they slice 8 pieces opposed to 16, and they produce half of pizzas during non-rush times.  Next, we discussed batch cooking.  Since, Prexy’s has retail venues it is important to have the best quality foods.  This is why they batch cook.  They do not make 20 pizzas at 11am and still serve them at 1pm.  They put pizzas in the oven as needed, and do not serve them after they have been sitting on the hot plate for over 30 minutes.  Also, it is important to measure the pizza toppings so each customer receives the same amount for the same price, the nutrient analysis is correct, and the actual inventory is the same as the what should have been used.  After we were finished serving lunch, we started to clean up Avanti’s, sanitizing the countertops, sweeping, and mopping the floors. 
            Next, I toured the convenience store at Maucker Union, Essentials.  It is similar to the 23rd Street Market; however, they do not sell ready-made meals only snacks and drinks.  In addition, Essentials has a market for clothing, souvenirs, and gift-like items.  We discussed how the University logo items are procured.  All the clothing comes from the University Book and Supply—consignment.  They did not have a start-up cost to create their own clothing line, and they did not have to find a provider to order all the clothing through.  The bookstore provides them with the clothes, and whatever they do not sell goes back to the Bookstore.  Here is the downfall, Essentials pays the bookstore 84% commission of sales.  In addition, to be a venue at Mauker Union, the venues must pay 8% of sales; therefore, they profit 5-8% from clothing items.  Essentials is there for a service to the students.  It is convenient to have somewhere on campus where they can purchase UNI clothing and small gift items such as greeting cards.
            Afterwards, we discussed the how Essentials is staffed.  There is one manager, three student supervisors, and 12-17 student employees.  The manager praised her student workers, especially the abilities of her student supervisors.  She said that she went on vacation for a week, and did not think twice about if her students could handle the week without her.  They calculate inventory just like 23rd Street Market; however, I think they provide for the customer better.  If a person wants a particular type of gum, and it is not on the shelf, he or she can tell the cashiers.  They let the manager know, and she will try to order the product.  She said that she will try anything, and if it sells, then she will keep it.  Product mix is determined by the customers preference, promotion items, etc. 
            Lastly, I looked around the store.  Bad idea…I picked out some clothes that I want to purchase, and there are these cute coasters that I want to buy my best friend for her birthday!

DAY 23: PREP FOR GRAB & GO, FLARES, INVENTORY, CLEAN UP
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
University of Northern Iowa
            Today, I worked at Prexy’s.  First, I worked back of house production for the Grab & Go.  I assisted a food service supervisor making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, garden vegetable sandwiches, and yogurt parfaits.  We had to use dippers, and weigh the vegetables, fruits, and yogurt.  In addition, we placed some desserts in clam containers.  They looked delicious.  We made sure that the products first made were first out, since they would expire in 3 days from preparation. 
            After we were finished preparing for the Grab & Go, I began preparing for opening up Flare’s.  Today, they had a burrito bar.  I assisted by chopping tomatoes and onions for the burrito bar.  In addition, I chopped the pork and chicken.  Next, I mixed the shredded cheeses and put them into a container.  I placed black olives and jalapeños in containers for the bar too.  It was almost time to begin serving, so I prepared the white rice and the cilantro-lime rice.  I worked the production line at the burrito bar during lunch.  It was fun; I made burritos, taco salads, rice bowls, taco, and nachos.  It is important to have proper portion sizes here so everyone receives the same amount for the same price.  They use dippers and ladles for measuring ingredients.  The biggest challenge in this operation is training.  There is one supervisor who trains the employees, and they only have in-services once a month after that, so if you learned wrong the first time, you will be doing it wrong for an entire month.  The best thing about the burrito bar was that the food service supervisor said I was a natural at burrito wraps.   Halfway through lunch, the milk truck arrived.  I actually helped the student supervisor do receiving.  He said that he had never done it.  Good thing that I was there, because Anderson & Erickson Dairy gave us extra product, and we would have missed it, if I did not say anything.
            Next, I completed inventory at Wasabi.  I was the caller for the inventory.  Then, I completed the inventory at Avanti’s and Flare’s where I was the recorder.  I hate being in the freezer.
            Lunch was finished, so it was time for clean-up.  We put away the vegetables and threw away leftovers.  Since they use cold wells at Flare’s, it is okay to reuse some of the products.  I like this better than Rialto, since there is no waste.  Next, we sanitized the counters and swept and mopped the floors at Flare’s.  There were many dishes from lunch, but not as many as there are at Rialto, since most of the items we sell are in throwaway containers.  Afterwards we sanitized the kitchen and mopped the floors.  The supervisor had a fun job of chiseling the ice machine
 
DAY 24: PRECOST, RECIPE TESTING, CHATS, SERVICE RECORDS
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
University of Northern Iowa
            This morning I went to Rialto to precost/forecast for my special event.  How am I supposed to know what and how much high school football players will eat?  My worst fear is running out of food, second, no one is brave enough to try one of my recipes.  Cross your fingers for me.
            Next, I went to Prexy’s to do recipe testing!  We made different flavors of Asian sauces to top stir fry and noodles.  We made four sauces: ginger, Szechuan, sesame, and Thai.  These recipes will be used at the noodle bar concept at Wasabi’s.  They found these recipes on the internet, took suggestions from their customers, and/or tasted something similar.  To test the recipe they send an order into FoodPro; however, if they do not have a specialty item, then they pick the item up from Hy-Vee.  Typically, the best methods of cooking are what is the least amount of labor and easiest without degrading the quality of the product.  If they realize cost is too high, they will try to cut back on ingredients, substitute for similar ingredients, or suggest the recipe to catering.  Sometimes availability of an item affects the final product if the items were not in season making it costly and low-quality.  No one wants to eat food that looks gross, presentation of food is huge in retail, so recipe testing creates different set ups for the food along with its taste testing.
            Afterwards, I spoke with the retail manager about service records.  There are two types of menus that Prexy’s uses: standard menus and cycle menus.  Standard menus repeat the items based on what they had the previous year that day, and cycle menus are on a 10 week rotation.  With each menu there are service records included.  It shows the precost, predetermined need of a certain product, and then staff will record what is left over or if they ran out. 
            Service records and inventory go hand in hand.  The weekly inventory counts determine if the service records are accurate whenever the inventory analysis is used.  Did I use a lot more or less than what I was supposed to use?  The best techniques for inventory and service records to be as accurate as they can is having the same people contribute the same way, so they are familiar with the products they are recording.  Other things such as the grocery lists in FoodPro, establishing a central section for opened items, and Fresh Beginning providing exact amounts help reduce cost, waste, and create a more accurate inventory. 
            Lastly, I worked at Chats, the coffee shop at Maucker Union.  I assisted in the preparation of a latte and cappuccino; the difference is the amount of foam on top cappuccino has way more.  Next, I made a caramel macchiato, which is 3 pumps of vanilla, a shot of espresso, milk, caramel, and whipped cream.  Afterwards, we made an Oreo Fro Yo Blast and a strawberry banana smoothie.  It actually surprised me that they used real fruit.  This was the first time I have ever used an espresso machine, technology has made things so much easier.  It operates and cleans itself with a press of a button, as long as I read the directions on the machine it cannot go wrong!  Well at least it didn’t for me.  They change the coffee every hour to ensure freshness, quality, and sanitation.  In addition, they change the sanitation buckets that they use to clean the parts of the machine after each use every two hours.  Some other things that I did at Chats were I made iced lattes, iced chai, iced mocha, Americano, and frappes.  I grinded the coffee beans, and brewed the signature coffee.  Then, I replenished the cream for next day use.  After we closed, we recorded our service sheet, sanitized the area, and did dishes.  I almost forgot, I learned how to work the cash register, but guess what I have already used the Micros cash register systems at a previous job! 

DAY 25: ORDERING, CAFÉ FRESCO, MONGOLIAN GRILL, MARKET ANALYSIS
Thursday, July 12, 2012
University of Northern Iowa
            Back to Maucker Union today.  Today, I worked with the retail manager with ordering.  I worked with a food service supervisor at the glorified sandwich and wrap venue.  Then, I worked with another food service supervisor at a Mongolian flattop grill venue.  Lastly, I went to other food service operations that sell similar products with a student supervisor to complete a marketing analysis. 
            Yesterday, I focused on precosting, service records, and inventory.  Today (Thursdays) they complete their weekly orders.  The information is compiled into the FoodPro system.  It indicates amounts necessary for the week, and if there is going to be a short or surplus.  FoodPro automatically calculates the number of ingredients necessary for the weekly recipes.  It takes into account the inventory.  Someone can manually change the amount of product we order, if it is not the correct amount, we already have a surplus, the recipe changes, the food spoils.  In addition, they can change the date that it will be delivered especially during the summer.  Martin Brothers delivers twice a week, whereas other places may only deliver once a week or month, or even four times a year.  If it is a company other than Martin Brothers, the manager must print a receiving report, and either call, fax, e-mail, or transfer the information to the company.  Sometimes they combine with other organizations at UNI such as Fresh Beginning so shipping is less expensive.  Then Fresh Beginnings does what is known as an inventory transfer, and basically Prexy’s purchases what it needs at face value from them.  Ordering is another checkpoint for inventory, because it finds the major errors.  Garbage in is garbage out. 
            Next, I worked at Café Fresco from 10:30-12pm during lunch.  We sliced some tomatoes on a manual tomato slicer I wish that I had one of those at home for sandwiches, perfectly slice tomatoes.  Before, we were open we tried three new sandwiches for next fall.  Afterwards, we placed the meat and veggies into the cold wells, and we were ready for service!  It was a little confusing trying to figure out the different types of sandwiches, which ones get toasted, microwaved, etc.  The grilled cheese was the most confusing: toast the bread, put three slices of cheese on one piece of toast, place it in the microwave for 30 seconds, then put the sandwich together, and put it on the sandwich griller. 
            Afterwards, a student supervisor and I walked around and completed a safety and sanitation checklist for the venues and the dining halls.  Prexy’s just started this, and now they do this once a month.  I think that this is a good idea, but a month is a little long especially if there is a problem.
            Then, I worked at Wasabi.  I assisted in the preparation of a teriyaki sauce for a stir-fry.  Next, I tried to prepare a stir-fry on the Mongolian grill.  That five-foot in diameter large, flat, circular, hot plate with the barbeque swords was intimidating.  I think I needed some more training, especially before the rush.  In the middle of cleaning the grill, I had to leave for marketing analysis. 
            I had no idea we would be going to compare our prices with the prices at McDonalds, Hy-Vee, and Wendy’s.  We compared bakery items, burgers, pizzas, chicken sandwiches, gluten free products, etc.  Prexy’s wanted to make sure that their products were competitive with other retail markets that sold similar items.

DAY 26: DEPOSITS/CASH HANDLING, FLARES, CASH REGISTER
FRIDAY THE THIRTEETH
University of Northern Iowa
            Today was my last day at Maucker Union.  I worked with the clerk in the morning, then I worked at a venue with a food service supervisor, then I worked with a student at the cash registers. 
            First, I learned about the daily duties of a clerk.  Clerks at Mauker Union keep track of sales at Chats, Prexy’s, and catering.  They create sales summary reports from the daily, a Micros report and an Odyssey report.  Both reports break the sales down in terms of cash, credit cards, charges, dining dollars, gift cards, checks, etc.  The amount in the drawer must match the amount on the reports or else something was entered wrong, the wrong amount of change was handed back, or the amount was not received.  Here they have change-counting machine, so that saves time when counting the money.  When, the clerk is finished counting the money, she takes out the profit for the deposit.  Next, she inputs the data into a spreadsheet on the computer, which pulls information from other things to create many reports.  In addition, she balances the average check per customer.  Also, she calculates the amount of people who went to each venue.
            I almost forgot, before I started working at Flares we did a recipe test, a pumpkin parfait YUM!  At Flares, I learned how to work the fryers and the grill.  Boy, I was scared.  I am glad this internship has got me out of my comfort zone in commercial kitchens.  We made grilled chicken, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, bacon cheeseburgers, halal burgers, black bean patties, and chicken parmesan on the grill.  In the fryers, we made fries, chicken strips, and the chicken patties for the chicken parmesan.  We had to make sure we used separate utensils and a separate spot for the halal burgers. 
            After lunch, I learned how to work the cash register.  It was pretty easy.  Locating the buttons was the challenging part.  Then, we had to clean front of house.  Since we were both there we were cleaning fools and got out of there at 2:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment