Monday, July 30, 2012

Goodbye to UND


Hi everyone!  Sorry this post has taken so long.  Life has been pretty hectic over the last week.  Last Friday, I flew home.  On Saturday, my cousin got married.  My family and I went on vacation to Delaware until Friday night, and I used the rest of the weekend to get things ready for my next rotation.

I basically tied up loos ends during my last week at UND.  Monday was a fun day.  We took a trip to Fargo, ND and toured the Food Service of America regional office.  It was basically a huge warehouse with a lot of modern technology.  It was really neat to hear about the steps the company has taken to save money and conserve resources.  We also stopped at the Hockenberg Newburgh regional office.  There, the food brokers treated to lunch and discussed the food broker industry with us.  I was really surprised how interested I was and how much I understood!  I really enjoyed talking with them!

Most of the day on Tuesday was devoted to the summer picnic I have been planning.  Before the guests arrived, I worked with the staff to set up and make some decisions on how to run the event.  During the event, I helped manage and work the picnic.  I was really surprised how so many people looked to me for guidance and leadership during it.  All in all, I think the event was a success!  I could tell all of the guests enjoyed it and we were able to climb over the small obstacles that presented themselves to us.

On Wednesday, I evaluated the picnic I work the previous day.  I made some notes and left them for the intern next year.  I also worked on the menu for a little. Finally, I met with the director of housing.  Her and I had a discussion about housing, dining, and even North Dakota history.

On Thursday, I worked on the menu a little more.  Also, I spent time sequencing the inventory at a small cafe the dining department runs out at the airport.  On FoodPro, each location has an inventory and they are all organized differently.  This inventory had not been updated for a few years.  So, I had my work cut out for me.  However, I was able to get it done and I feel that the manager at the airport may have an easier time finding her items in her storeroom.

On Friday, I mostly said goodbye to everyone.  I sat in on a manager's meeting with several of the people I had worked with over the summer.  At the end, I said goodbye and thanked all of them.  After lunch, a sales representative came to show us her company's grilled chicken sandwich patties.  The patties were really good!  However, Dustin and Greg, the executive chef id not see a need for these patties since they make their own.  Well, it was worth a look anyway.  Before leaving for the airport, I participated in the weekly staff meeting.  I made sure to say goodbye and thank the staff for all of their help and support.  To my surprise, the staff had gotten me a cake, a binder full of recipes, and a going away gift.  I was kind of speechless from all of their generosity!  After the meeting, Greg drove me to the airport and my NACUFS experience was over.

Well that is all I have for this experience.  Look out for my blog about my next rotation: long term care!

No comments:

Post a Comment