Friday, July 27, 2012

Final Week at UIUC

Well, it all comes to a close. Today is my last day as a NACUFS intern. I am still trying to absorb this information as I write this last post. This summer has been such an unforgettable experience! I am so happy that I applied for this internship and that everything worked out!
This week was mostly a week of closure and finishing up projects. Monday and Tuesday I spent on the computer making up food combinations for students who are overwhelmed. This included a list of ideas for the omelet station, wrap station, Panini station, stir fry station, waffle bar, and salad bar. I know that when I approach these different sections in the cafeteria sometimes I want to try something different that I never thought of. Hopefully my ideas will win some cheers from the students eating in the dining halls. If nothing else, I am sure that the cheesy names I gave some of the sandwiches will generate some smiles. Who wouldn’t get a small chuckle from ‘green apples & ham,’ a sandwich featuring ham, swiss cheese, apple slices, onions, and aioli chipotle sauce? Or ‘when life hands you onions,’ a sandwich with roast beef, pepper jack cheese, sautéed onions, mayo, and whipped butter? Is your mouth watering, because mine sure is.
When I wasn’t making up fun combinations, I helped out at FAR to prep for recipe testing. This mostly just included measuring out different ingredients and chopping vegetables to save for the official tasting day today at ISR.  On Thursday, we even had the chance to make the brioche french toast. It was amazing and very filling! Thursday was also my birthday; Robin took me out for lunch to Destihl in Downtown Champaign and we met up with a bunch of people I had the opportunity of working with this summer. It was a bittersweet end to a wonderful two months.
For all of you currently considering whether to participate in a NACUFS internship, I will help you out right now. DO IT! You will have a great time and get valuable experience while participating in it. I was apprehensive when I first applied, but at this moment, I could not be happier. And if you are not sure where to apply, may I suggest the University of Illinois? Robin Allen, the dietitian here, is absolutely amazing and very helpful! The staff is also friendly and always willing to help if you have any questions. The internship position here is great for anyone interested in nutrition, who wants a learning experience.
Goodbye all & good luck to next summer’s interns!

No comments:

Post a Comment