Sunday, June 24, 2012

Deep Fried Mac n' Cheese

Pie can-struction at Hallmark Corp

Flag can-struction at Hallmark Corp

The summer is flying by!  
I can't believe there are only 5 weeks left!
This week was all about retail.  Bethany and I spent Monday and Tuesday in the campus coffee shop with Chris and Shelly overcoming our fear of the steam wand and becoming certified baristas.  I only spilled steaming hot milk 3 times and sprayed myself in the face with the blender-washer twice.

Wednesday and Thursday, Katie, Jessica, and AJ taught us the secrets of making KU's sandwich wrap concept, Brellas.  Keith talked to us about the pros and cons of self-branded concepts versus retail operations.  I had no idea how much work goes into creating concepts.  We also got to meet with Aaron, the sports nutritionist and talk about the differences and challenges of feeding the athletes.  

Friday, our advisor, Barb, took us on a field trip to tour the food service department at Hallmark Corp in Kansas City.  It was so much fun.  I bet I got a lot of strange looks as I was geeking out about the awesome ideas they've had to help incorporate good-tasting nutritious food into the corporate culture.  Some of the ideas they've had include offering nutritious snack-packs in their cafe, giving employee discounts on healthier options, and replacing their pasta bar rotation in the cafeteria with a grain bar.
Snack options in the Cafe

Pita wedges with mango cream cheese and fresh strawberries
Tomorrow we start our catering rotation, and I know it's going to be fun!
This has been such a great experience.  I don't want it to ever end! =0)
PB, apple, bacon, and sprout sandwich at Hallmark.
Don't knock it 'till you try it! It tasted awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment