Monday, June 25, 2012

Week Four At Cal Dining

I haven't had the chance to write in awhile because we've been so busy! Each day we have a different focus and we usually shadow a different member of the Cal Management team. We've learned about food allergy management and about the quality assurance program here at UC Berkeley Dining. We've also been active in several internal audits including the organic audit and the MSC audit.

Nicole and I were able to shadow Bomani, a head storekeeper at the Crossroads Dining facility. We helped with inventory and accepted a few deliveries.  He taught us how he makes orders and how he knows when/how much to order. I really enjoyed spending time in the kitchen and store rooms. Seeing behind the scenes is really interesting to me.

We also got to spend a day with the Cal Dining Marketing team. They showed me how to use a few computer programs and allowed me to make a poster for an event. I was impressed by their attention to detail and natural talent for graphic design!

Last Tuesday Nicole and I were able to go to a Sustainability Conference at UC Davis. We spent the day learning about composting, and other eco-friendly practices. IT WAS GREAT! It was cool to see another UC campus. Plus the food there was amazing.

On Wednesday we took a field-trip to Napa Valley. We stopped at Napa State Hospital to learn about the food service program there.The building was really old and unique. There was a room full of old baking equipment. I saw the hugest oven I've ever seen! Later we went to the Culinary Institute of America for a tour. Let's just say it was amazingly beautiful. On our way home we stopped in Yountville to pass by The French Laundry, Bouchon, and Ad Hoc: three famous restaurants owned by Thomas Keller.

Thursday and Friday Nicole and I spent time at a campus-run Peets. We learned how to make a variety of coffee drinks, sampled different teas, and helped serve customers. I found this experience to be really valuable. Plus getting to know the cafe workers was fun!

On my spare time I've been able to travel to Tahoe, and visit San Francisco a few more times. We toured Alcatraz and saw the annual Gay Pride Parade. I love the energy and culture of SF.

Bouchon- A Thomas Keller Bakery

Inside Bouchon

The Culinary Institute of America

Berkeley Farmer's Market


 Wine Country!
Nicole and I at the Sustainability Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment