Monday, June 11, 2012

Week 1 at UIUC!!


 WHAT A WEEK!

           Hey everyone! My name is Susie and I am the intern for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This upcoming Fall I will be entering into my fourth year as a dietetic major at Western Michigan University and I could not be more excited!
           It’s hard to believe I have only been interning at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for one week. On Monday, I made the drive down here from Michigan, utilizing most of the day to fully settle into my apartment. I, also, filled out necessary paperwork at Clark Hall, which holds most of the University housing offices, including dining services. Tuesday came and I was ready to start this wonderful 8-week venture as the NACUFS Intern.
           
            I was able to use the next morning to sleep in, which for me is waking up at 8 am before walking to campus. Tuesday was a nice introduction to the University’s dining program. I used most of the morning to become familiar with the different dining halls, menus, and revolutionary EatSmart program that the University uses. There are 6 different dining halls on campus and this summer I will have the opportunity to work within at least 3 of them. After exploring the website and several other resources that were given to me, I have to admit I was impressed with all the nutritional facts and allergen information that are available for students. In the afternoon, Robin Allen, the administrative dietitian, took me around campus and introduced me to all the departments and people I would be working with.
            Wednesday I had the opportunity to do something that few people have the chance to brag about. I starred in a training video for the future staff of the University’s dining halls. Luckily for me, my part had no lines.  However, for years to come, incoming students will watch and learn from me the proper way to refill the soda fountain station.  Even for a low-budget production, it was a great experience to see the behind the scenes filming process and learn the proper techniques of the dish room.

            All week I have reported to Clark Hall and Thursday was no different.  Unlike earlier in the week, I began more hands-on tasks. I used the in-place Cbord Foodservice Suite system to complete nutrition analyses on the summer menu for weeks to come. As weird as it sounds, a fourth-year dietetic student such as myself finds this task to be a highly enjoyable project. The University of Illinois has many resources available to students with food allergens and special diets as well. For example, in Ikenberry dining hall there is a Vegan corner and all dining halls have gluten-free options for students. As I completed the nutritional analyses, it was important to include if any of the items had any of the most common food allergens: milk, gluten, wheat, soy, corn, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish.
            Friday was an agreeable ending to a welcoming first week. Most of the day I spent in Clark Hall working on more nutrient analyses data input for the Stadium Menus of the home football games for the Fall 2012 season. It is important to mention that this week and the several next to come are part of Freshmen Orientation. At lunch, I had the opportunity to sit at the table in Ikenberry dining hall in case any families of incoming freshmen had questions about food allergens or healthy options at mealtimes. The rest of the day was spent doing a quick drive through the downtown of Champaign and Urbana to get more accustomed to the area. I already have a list going of all the places and things I want to do this summer, with each day it keeps getting longer.
             As you can see, it’s been a pretty busy five days, but it only makes me more excited for what’s to come in the next 7 weeks!

1 comment: