Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Week 4 in Wyoming


Day 22:

                We were so excited to start our bakery rotation today!  We definitely had a blast.  After a tour of the place, we got right to work on icing some sheet cakes and dropping cookies.  Sara asked if we could decorate them with roses and they were excited to see what we could do.  I learned how to make roses out of butter cream, and we decorated the cakes quite beautifully.  We had so much fun and were sad to know that we would only have three days in the bakery.  Everyone there is so nice.  The bakery is in the basement with no sunlight, so when the bakers emerge everyone teases them about being trolls or allergic to the sun or something like that.



Day23:

                I had the late shift today, which is the 8am shift.  Poor Sara had to be in at 2am that morning and was very zombie-like when I finally got there!  We watched a couple of cake decorating videos and hand-dipped chocolate videos.  They were really interesting and made us want to practice those skills right away.  Unfortunately they were not needed that day.  Sara finally was able to leave at 10am to go get some sleep.  My day, on the other hand, had just started.  I was excited because I got to learn how to dip and decorate petit fours in chocolate.  She taught us how to use transfer sheets with decorated cocoa butter to decorate them quickly.  Then I got to drop more cookies.  We also worked on making mini cream puffs for an event that was coming up.  I definitely had fun learning more skills.  I was quick to get home and go to sleep because I had the 2am shift the next day!



Day 24:

                Unfortunately for us, this would be our last day in the bakery.  Even more unfortunate for me, I had the 2am shift.  I learned how to make the cake donuts that they would be serving in the dining hall that morning.  My job was to catch the donuts as they came off the conveyor belt.  It was great because I was able to help them find a way to catch them without burning themselves, unlike what they had been doing.  After that, we worked on some breads in the big mixer that they call “Big Bertha”.  She is the biggest mixer they have, and when looking at the recipe, it will actually say to use Big Bertha by name.  I thought that was very funny to see in a recipe.  Of course after that we worked on more cookies!  I also learned how to get orders ready for the next day and decorated a couple of sugar cookies for the different cash operations.  Then we made more scones to be ready for the next day.  That’s when Sara arrived for her shift and the two of us made some key lime pies.  After lunch I was finally able to go home and get some rest!



Day 25:

                This was the day that we were supposed to make a couple of recipes for our project.  I was very nervous!  We had put the food order in yesterday and began our prep first off.  As I was prepping for my Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Salad, I began to look for the fresh mozzarella that I had ordered.  It was nowhere in sight.  The manager and I then called down to the deliveries, and they couldn’t find any.  Apparently, they had accidentally brought us goat cheese instead of mozzarella!  So I was unable to make my salad for the day.  They assured us that they would be bringing us the mozzarella tomorrow and I could make it then.  We took a break from the kitchen and went to learn about how they plan conferences.  She showed us how she used an Excel spreadsheet to assign them to dorms and it was very confusing!  Lucky for everyone, she does a great job on coordinating them.   Sara was able to make her side and her salad, so I helped her prep for it and set the place up.  We had fun talking to the customers and getting their input into the recipes.  Then we worked on prepping for my recipes since I was going to have three to do the next day!



Day 26:

                My big day and I was so very nervous!  We started prepping as soon as we got there because I was going to have three recipes to serve!  The mozzarella still had not showed up and I was getting very concerned.  This Friday was once again not going as planned.  We started joking about how we just were not going to work Fridays anymore so that we didn’t have this problem again!  We continued to prep for my other two recipes when the mozzarella finally arrived!  Then there was a lot of running around trying to get everything ready.  My main dish, Yakisoba, was going to be made on the Mongolian Grill! It was so much fun doing the stir fry on there!  I ended up wanting to serve my dish so I could talk to the people so I let Sara take over on the grill.  We had a lot of fun, but I was so nervous the entire time that we were serving.  Later we got a compliment from a guy who was watching us saying that we were an amazing team and he had never seen something so good looking come off that grill.  It’s funny because some people think we work too well together and spend too much time together since we started talking in unison!  I also had to run around and check on my other recipes.  My Chinese Broccoli recipe was not going so well.  It had turned out kind of salty so we were working on adjusting it.  Lucky for me, we had become friends with one of the cooks and she was able to work on it while I was looking over everything else.  Everyone really enjoyed the recipes in the end.  I can definitely say though, that I am glad that was over with!



Day 27 and 28:  OFF

No comments:

Post a Comment