Saturday, June 30, 2012

Halfway There


Well, week four is finished.  Time flies!  I had some fun over the weekend. I went out to the races on Friday.   Grand Forks has a speedway on the outskirts of town and it as sprint car races every Friday night there.  Here is a link if you want to check it out: http://www.rivercitiesspeedway.com/ It was surprisingly exciting and alot of fun! Here is an example of the kind of races they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNuR9JO0EFE Both Friday and Saturday night, I spent some time with other students whom I have met last week.  They were very welcoming and fun to be around!

Over Sunday night, I had worked at the UND bakery.  The bakery manager works from 10 PM to 6:30 AM, so I worked at that time too!  It was tiring work, but a good time.  I was able to help him bake some cookies, cupcakes, and breads.  It was really interesting to see the ins and outs of a bakery operation.  I had fun getting dirty too!

I took a half day on Monday since I had worked over night.  On Monday, I drove downtown to meet with some employees of the local health department.  We discussed keeping food safe in restaurants and safe in foodservice operations.  I also spoke with the director of dining and spoke to him about the department as a whole.  I finally sat in on an interview for a lead cook position and extended my feedback to the interviewers.

For the rest of the week, I mostly updated the menu for fall semester, updated nutrition facts on recipes, and met with some other administration staff.  We spoke about their role with dining and how they are all linked to each other.  It was really interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes in an operation like this.

Well that's about it for now.  I have an exciting weekend lined up.  Your'e going to have to read next week about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment