Monday, June 25, 2012

Red Clay Cafe....you may call me Mattie the Barista





Today was spent at the Red Clay Cafe with Andrew and Bambi.  Andrew taught me all about how to be a barista!  It really is a lot more simple than I thought it would be.  Basically depending on the size is about how many shots of espresso you do and then add flavor.  If it is a cappucino then you add a little foam with the steamed milk.  The other thing I was taught and found extremely interesting was pour over coffee.  That is what the pics above are.  It is the "hipster" way of brewing coffee, basically the most fresh you can possibly get.  And boy oh boy does it give you a buzz!  I was rather alert the rest of the day, it may be my new addiction.  Andrew mentioned how hard everything thinks it is which he is okay with because it promises him job security!

Bambi walked me through a lot of her day as the manager of the Red Clay Cafe.  She makes sure her employees are there and doing there job, she checks inventory, and when the inventory "cart" comes she makes sure the Cafe received everything.  She is a very enjoyable and welcoming manager.  I can tell she practices the open door policy by keeping a message board outside of her office for communication and her door is literally wide open for any and all comments or concerns.  We also dealt with the money at the beginning and end of the day, ensuring that everything balanced.  It was a fun day, I enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment