Tuesday, June 5, 2012

UND pre NACUFS


Hi guys!  In case you did not hear, I am spending half of my summer in North Dakota.  I am working at the University of North Dakota (UND) for 7 weeks to fulfill parts of my Medical Dietetics supervised practice.  The program I am partaking in is through the National Association of College and University Food Service (NACUFS for short).  This program take interns from across the country and sends them to another college or university to learn all about what goes on in a university food service organization.  

I would like to share my NACUFS journey with you all.  But first, I need to back track to the beginning.  I was introduced to this program right before winter break 2011 in class.  Over winter break, I researched the program and applied.  Over winter quarter, I had a phone interview.  At that point, I gave my interviewer my top 3 preferences for my placement.  I told them I would like to go to Illinois State University, Villanova University, and the University of Richmond.  These schools were somewhat close and offered programs I was interested in.  On the week that interns got their placements, I was called by the NACUFS internship chair asking if I would like to go to UND.  I told her I would think about it; which I did for a long time.  I had two weeks to decide and I waited until the last day to get back to her (which was over spring break).  With that being said and where I am now, it's obvious I took the spot!

Now, let's fast forward to the end of spring quarter.  In order to fit this experience in, I had to leave before finals week.  Therefore, I had to take finals early and turn all my assignments in before I left. (It was a pain and the exams were quite difficult!)  However, I got everything done and was able to drive home and see my family before I left.  Naturally, I flew to UND from Ohio.  On flight day, my parents dropped me off at the airport.  This day was rough.  I'll just say that I lost a few things (I know James, it's very typical of me).  Despite the troubles, I landed safely in Fargo, ND.  UND is an hour away from the airport.  So, my preceptor picked me up and drove me to the school.  She got me checked into my dorm room and showed me around the town, which is really interesting. It is divided into 4 parts and each part has its own distinguishing features.  On the day before my first day, I get fully settled, explored campus, and relaxed before the beginning of my experience.  Well, that's it for now.  I will post again after my first week in Grand forks, ND!

http://www.nacufs.org/careers-internships

http://und.edu/student-life/dining/

http://und.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment