Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week 2 at UIUC!


            Hello again everyone! I can honestly say this past week was even more exciting than the last! The weekend after my first week, I had the opportunity to explore campus. It was great to just walk around, get lost, and take pictures with all the freshmen and their parents who were there for orientation. I even had Monday off too, so I used it to find new running trails that went past cornfields and farms. Let me tell you, it’s a much more relaxing experience than through the same suburban streets I’m used to.
            On Tuesday, my work week began. Both Tuesday and Thursday, I was scheduled to work in the Housing Food Stores building. Currently, this building is undergoing much construction to upgrade its production kitchen. Through this kitchen they hope to produce most of the food for the weddings and other events that happen on other buildings on campus, but I will get to that later. For those two days, I worked solely in the office working on one of the available computers. It was a great to be able to sit down and get some of my projects completed; I finished the nutritional analyses and allergen information for the rest of the summer menus using C-bord. It may not sound like much, but it was a huge load off my shoulders! On Tuesday, I also worked with two dietitians and another student to formulate a dining hall survey with more of a nutritional focus. It is an eye-opening experience once you realize how many questions you must ask to get down to the exact answers you are looking for.  

Housing Food Stores

             Wednesday was training video day again…wooooo! This time we filmed three more videos: clocking in and out, the ‘runner’ position, and uniforms. You would never guess it, but this week took even more time to film than last week. The uniform video required more than 20 macro shots of the correct pants, ids, shoes, etc. needed. This time I displayed my fabulous acting skills! For all incoming dining hall staff at the UIUC, you can all learn from me how to replace a soiled spoon on the buffet line and what is considered acceptable pants to wear to work. My favorite video I was in involved me asking the chef if a certain food any nuts in it; however, it required multiple tapings because somehow I kept scaring the chef in the first couple of takes.
            The rest of the week I shadowed one of the event planners in the University Catering Department. Let me first explain the multiple venues available on campus. Most of the formal events are either held at the Illini Union (which has a bowling alley!!), Memorial Stadium, or I-Hotel. Catering will supply food and service to any other building on campus for smaller retirement receptions or student organizations, but these three are where the wedding receptions take place. There is also the President’s House, which is a beautiful building, that hosts more private, prestigious parties. For all of Friday, I worked in the Illini Union helping send out contracts to different clients who wanted to change menus or guest counts. The life of an event planner is never without excitement! You must always have your phone on you and be prepared to have at least 10 new emails waiting for you whenever you leave the office. 
Memorial Stadium (side view)
View of the Field from the reception
                Saturday was an amazing experience! We drove over to I-Hotel, which although it is located on land that is the property of the University, is not actually property of the UIUC. The hotel would be hosting 2 separate weddings and we made sure to do a quick run-through and make sure the catering staff did not have any questions or need extra help. The rest of the evening was spent at Memorial Stadium. The reception overlooked the football field and all of the guests were able to play and walk along the field before coming up to the reception.  Since that day, I have vowed to have my wedding at a football stadium! The bride and groom even had their names lit up on the scoreboard for all to see. I helped put table numbers on the corresponding tables and set up the dessert table. As guests arrived, I was given a special tour of the top floors that all the suites were located on. The view was simply breathtaking! The appetizers were caprese skewers, stuffed mushroom, fig and brie tarts, and crab cakes. To answer your next question, yes they were delicious. Before we left for the night, I helped garnish the assortment of pies the bride brought to be served to the guests. 

Wedding Reception in Memorial Stadium (before the guests arrive)
            For the next five days, I will be working at one of the dining halls on campus. The upcoming weekend is also the annual Taste of Champaign downtown, and I cannot wait to go!




No comments:

Post a Comment